10/06/2007

Rumeli Fortress photo, Bosphorus , Istanbul - Rumeli Hisari, Istanbul fotografi


MELİSA GÜRPINAR -1941


İSTANBUL WOMAN


I was born in İstanbul

İn nineteen hundred and forty-one.

I got to know her as well as myself.

With İstanbul I changed.

With İstanbul I loved and parted from love

And have finally come to an end.

I’ve told my own story.

If you look closely you’ll see

I’m the only one moving in the picture,

Like searet water round Byzantium’s base.

If now I’d like to return

To my native city,

Is that a daydream,

Or a cat’s instinct to find a place to die

When the bodylock tells its time?

I was born in İstanbul

İn nineteen hundred and forty-one,

My mother created from ‘good family’.

She was haughty.

She had a dream

And all her life was alone.

She wore her pride like a dried flower

In her button hole.

My father had angered her;

She concealed me for years

In the house across the park.

For a slight infidelity

She vengefully made him pay

And paid too much.

They say

My brow was wide like my father’s.

I managed to see him once before he died.

He was sad,

Overturned on his pillows

Like a broken pitcher beside the spring.

He had plenty to say,

There still was a little hope.

That day for the first time I wore a beret

- a great mistake -

showing off to my first love

the white flutter of feathers in my cap.

Later time’s dusty tower toppled;

People died or dispersed,

Were arrested, banished,

Went into exile,

Forgot one another,

Addresses lost under the waters.

I still think I’m in Istanbul

But my native city is gone.

She went overnight.

They say she flew off

On the back of a bird

With concrete wings.

And where is her sea?

That has gone too

Like a stranger in death’s house,

His thoughts unknown

Why didn’t I hear a thing?

Perhaps I grew deaf from my pounding heart

And the mingled voices of children

And poetry’s cries.

Ah, what can I say!

Istanbul is no more,

The alphabet letters are all jumbled up.

And yet

If istanbul gone

Interrogates me in her name,

My eyes will not be on her future or past.

She’s a flickering flame on a wick that won’t burn.

She’s a madman’s life.

She’s a jujube tree.

My grandmother who

Hid under her lashes

Night’s deep blue.

I think she too has gone

Dragging behind her

Her garden of weeping willows.

No comments:

Post a Comment